Extended Care Program: Grades K-5
As an extension of the school day for students in grades K-5, the Norfolk Collegiate Extended Care Program provides a safe and caring environment in which our students are supervised during academic, social and recreational activities. Classroom teachers and teacher assistants are actively involved with the children: reading to them, assisting with homework assignments, playing games, designing creative projects and organizing sports activities.
The Extended Care Program is located in the Norfolk Collegiate Lower School, 5429 Tidewater Drive, and is licensed by the Virginia Department of Social Services.
Hours of Operation
- Morning Care: 7–8 a.m
- Afternoon Care: 3–6 p.m.
The Extended Care program is open every day that school is in session, unless otherwise noted on the school calendar.
ALL students must complete the registration form at the beginning of the school year. We will not charge your account for the registration fee until the first day in which your student attends the program.
Registration Fee: $20 per child per year
Daily Fee Structure:
- Morning Care $6
- Afternoon Care $18
- Early Release (11 a.m. & 1 p.m. dismissal) $35
- Full Day $50
* When participating in enrichment programs or school-sponsored clubs after school hours, the daily fee will be prorated to $12, if addition care of needed after the activity. Extended Care fees will appear on your child's student billing statement monthly.
Morning Care is will be provided from 7-8 a.m. in Room 12. You must accompany your child into the building and sign him or her in with the teacher on duty. Please ring the bell located on the second entrance in the carpool loop, which is closest to the playground. An extended care staff member will open the door. The K-1 children will be escorted by the Extended Care Program staff to their Lower School classrooms at 8 a.m. All other grades will be released when the bell rings at 8 a.m.
Afternoon Care students will be supervised in grade-level groups and are assigned to classrooms. Children MUST be signed out by an authorized adult by 6 p.m. A late charge of $1 for every minute will be applied, if a student is not picked up by 6 p.m.
Children enrolled in afternoon Extended Care will be served a snack and drink each day. Please note that on days in which school is dismissed early, students are to bring a lunch with them if lunch was not served during the school day. A snack will be served on days when there is early dismissal. Food allergies should be specifically noted so that snacks provided are safe for the child to consume.
School Closings and Delays
- In the event that the school has an unscheduled early dismissal due to an emergency including severe weather, Extended Care will not be offered. Parents will be notified of a closing through our emergency notification system.
- If school is delayed, the Extended Care Program will begin 30 minutes before the new school start time.
- If school is canceled, the Extended Care Program is also canceled.
Additional Extended Care Resources
Interested parents may complete the extended care form (PDF) or pick up the forms from the lower school office or from the business office. Children must be registered in advance to participate in the Extended Care Program.
Please direct any questions or concerns regarding Extended Care to Alex Bartlett, director of auxiliary programs, at 757.626.1820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.